Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Hot shoe to jack cable mod


Make your own hot shoe to jack/phone cable

With only 35 minutes left of my 26th birthday I give to you the knowledge you need to save yourself a whole bunch of bucks.
If you own a camera flash without a jack/phone/pc sync socket you'll find it quite costly to hook up your Pocketwizard or Elinchrom Skyport trigger. You can spend £30 on a HOT SHOE TO MINIJACK or you can spend £7 on a HAMA HOT SHOE TO PC SYNC and 79p on a jack socket and solder them together.

Now let me make this clear, I am not an electrician, I am a photographer so you will find no schematics or fancy electricians terms here, what you will find is a couple of pictures and that is all you should need cause you just have to stick 2 wires down.

This is what you will end up with:



...and this is how to make it. (click photos to view them bigger)
Take your Hama hot shoe to pc sync and cut the pc sync end off with a scissors, strip the wire about an inch, what you will find is a central wire and a load of bits around it, score your jack socket a tad, twist up the wire bits, pop them through the hole at point (A) and solder it...



Now, take the central wire, stick it in the hole at point (B) and solder. I didn't know whether point (B) or (C) was the correct one to attach the central wire to so I soldered another piece of wire between them to make sure it would work, as I said I'm not an electrician ;-)



You could stick a jack plug to the cable instead of socket, I chose the socket cause the Hama cable is quite short and my Skyports came with a 40cm jack to jack cable which would go between the receiver and the socket.

I hope this has helped all you poor photographers out there, the best thing is you could plug your headphones into your hot shoe now in public and when other photographers see you they'll think "what the hell is he up to?".

Don't forget that STROBIST.COM is the best lighting site in all of the world. Go there now.


MP3: Big Black: Cables (Live) From Atomizer

DISCLAIMER: IF ANYTHING BREAKS IT IS YOUR FAULT AND NOT MINE. BOTH OF MINE WORK FINE, TIME AFTER TIME AFTER TIME. :-P

8 comments:

Aidan said...

Happy Belated Birthday, I suppose :)

Anonymous said...

Awesome stuff, dude.
Kinda thinkin' I couldn't have done much better myself . . . AW, ok...it WAS YOUR BIRTHDAY !!! Welcome to the post 25 "twilight" (flash) zone . . . I'm off to Geek my ride . . .

tfrancis said...

its true, julian who left the last comment was who actually made the thing for me, but to save explaining all that i claimed that i did it myself, i am guilty!

tyron

Anonymous said...

Maybe I held the hot iron a little, BUT, in all fairness it was YOU who had the(FLASH of !)inspiration to try this mod . . . AND to ur credit it worked !!
What's up your sleeve for next time, I wonder?
D.I.Y synchronized picture taking, D.I.Y Plasma wallpaper, D.I.Y X-ray specs . . . or a continuation of your excellent photography?

Anonymous said...

you need to fix the images :) i need this solution badly , can't get my 580 to work

tfrancis said...

pictures fixed, my fault!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the imagefix :) i soldered monoplug directly to hotshoe.

if you push test button on your transmitter, must the flash burst?

tfrancis said...

it should do. if you are having any problems sign up for the strobist group in flickr, there are loads of very knowledgeable people there: http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/

cheers
tyron